Unfortunately, podq.com is no longer maintained. Please visit my new site at http://www.joshualyman.com for new and updated content. Thank you!

Good afternoon world. Many of you have been asking about the availability of a new WordPress Travelogue Theme update, and have been very patiently waiting. Today I am pleased to announce Travelogue 2.5b, or beta.

I have been working with the WordPress Themes team to get this update ready, and I’ve submitted it to the themes directory and received feedback on a couple of things to improve before it goes live. I would also like to turn it over to you, my favorite readers, to test it out as well.

I will leave the beta testing period open for about two weeks, because during that time, I am going to be getting married!!! Hooray! As such, I obviously won’t be focusing too much on active development of the theme. However, all of your feedback is highly valued, and everything reported back to me will be taken into account.

All I ask if you decide to download and test the theme is that you please please provide feedback, even if it is just to say “Hey, everything’s working fine!” Therefore, if you download the beta, you are on the honor system to drop me a note to let me know you are going to be testing it out, and then please just send any bugs, quirks, or suggestions you have. So have at it!

Download the Travelogue 2.5 Beta Theme

Noteable changes:
  • Made the theme WP2.3+ compatible, or in large part, widgetized.
  • A few deprecated functions were replaced with their more current counterparts.
  • Removed the Travelogue Options page – all is taken care of by built-in WP widgets.
  • Gravatar compatible.
  • A slight facelift.
  • Per request of the WordPress team, the Polaroid picture now links to a very very simple gallery, which is meant to be replaced by the user with a more robust, appropriate option (such as WordPress’s own gallery features).

Update: So far, Travelogue 2.5b seems to be completely WordPress 2.7 compatible as well!

15 responses

Do you want to comment?

Comments RSS ?

Josh, just came across this theme the same day you rolled out the latest version! Funny!

Quick question: I want to use the Lightbox plug-in for WordPress to display my images. This would mean I need to change the photo display page. How can I link the image in the upper-left corner to that photo gallery?

Last quick question: How do I get my images to show in the Polaroid frame? (I’ve got them loaded into the random gallery directory, but…

Thanks!

December 11, 2008 7:16 pm

@Steve, you can change the link by editing line 38 of header.php. As for getting the random images to show up, you should be able to simply pop them into the randimages folder. What specifically is going wrong? A link to see? I love serendipitous timing… 🙂

December 12, 2008 1:13 am

Thanks for the help! I found the part to edit, and corrected some stuff with the images, and things are working now! I had to remove all of your content from the randimages folder (except for rotator.php) and added my photos (I resized them this time) and it worked. I’m in the process of “making it my own” so to speak – click on my name and you’ll be able to see what I’m doing.

Thanks for this layout! (Congrats on your upcoming wedding!)

December 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Um This has to be the worst theme I have ever run across…. just joking! Got the wedding announcement and Congrats buddy! Hope all is well, I will be trying the theme out shortly!

December 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanx for the update, will try it out this year and hope to give some feedback.

So you’re a married man now, contratulations!

December 17, 2008 9:44 am

I was so disappointed that the old travelogue theme wasn’t working in WP 2.6.3, and I had been testing out some other travel-based themes for our temple trip to israel. Then I just happened to check back in right before we left and found this update – Fabulous! I installed it immediately and its running great! I couldn’t get the photo gallery to work when you click on the polaroid image, but admittedly i’m already traveling and so its not high priority.

Feature request – how about making the polaroid random image rotate every x # of minutes instead of just once per reload?

Thanks again!

December 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Hello, I want to use Travelog in my new blog: http://zooitant.comze.com/web1/

Actually I have installed travelog 1.0 😀 and I want to use your new version of travelog, the 2.5.

It’s possible to modify the graphics by me? by example, the header and left column graphics?

If I want to change these graphics, can you send me polaroid.jpg without brown textures? or photoshop file for modify the result file? It’s possible?

I attach a link to your blog when my blog runs in a future.

Thanks in advance!

December 30, 2008 9:53 am

Like the new Travelogue theme. I’m just not having any luck with the photos in the polaroid in the corner. I loaded an image once and it showed once, but then it keeps giving me the “Please add pictures to the random picture directory.” No matter how many pictures I add, it still doesn’t work.

April 30, 2009 11:34 am

Yeah, I have the same problem as Ryan. The polaroid corner seems to be broken. (WordPress 2.7)

May 3, 2009 7:55 am

Ryan and Michael, do you know if your servers support the PHP GD library? The script relies on that to take your images and resize/insert them. Search the generated source for “Cannot initialize new GD image stream.”

If that is not the issue, can you provide links so that I can take a look?

May 11, 2009 3:24 pm

I’m having the same problem as Ryan and Michael. I’m using WordPress 2.6.5. I searched the source, but I am not getting the GD error. I tried changing to rotatorm.php, and I get the same “Please add pictures.” message. Any updates on this? If you need the link, please e-mail me. Thanks.

June 8, 2009 2:19 pm

I am just setting up my first WordPress (2.7) site so I can upload images from vacations I have taken and really like your theme (2.6.9). However, in FF, there is a great deal deal of white space between the Blog title and the group of pictures. In IE, the pictures appear nicely right underneath the title. BUT in ie, the footer ( the part that identifies the theme) is very large with a create deal of scroll bar to nowhere and in FF, this div is positioned and sized nicely.

Do you know what change I need to make to the css to fix this problem. Go to my web site to see what I am talking about. I only have one blog so should be easy to find (My Meetup Group Presentation).

Thanks for the help.

June 10, 2009 8:45 pm

@Jami, the error often won’t appear in the source if your server is set to suppress PHP errors. Email sent.

@David: I’m guessing you’ve gone to a different theme since yesterday. If you change it back, or provide me another link, I’ll take a look and see what I can do.

June 11, 2009 10:22 am

I converted my blog to your template today but being as I am known for being addicted to all things pink I’ve slightly modified things to “pinkify” the theme.

I’m still working through a couple of areas that need fixing. I tried adding the directory for the randomizer but no luck yet. I may be able to resolve that once my host restores my FTP access. The other issue is figuring out how to code the tops of the rounded boxes in the sidebar and the background behind the sidebar.

That aside I really like the template. I tend to use a lot of larger photos (width 600) and many templates are too narrow for that. I love playing with graphics and templates but have never created one from scratch.

Thanks..Dawn

January 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Everyone with questions about the randimages folder, the polaroid, or many other Travelogue theme-related questions, I just put up a post hoping to answer a lot of these, check it out at this Travelogue post. Hope that helps!

February 2, 2010 10:41 am